What to do when a structure is not council approved. | Mavin Real Estate

What to do when a structure is not council approved.

What to do when a structure is not council approved.

It’s important when buying or selling a property that you check that all the structures on the property have planning and building approval from the relevant local government authority. Quite often home buyers will purchase a property unaware that all the structures on the property might not have the required council approval.

Approving unauthorised structures can be a complicated and tedious task for homeowners with some councils requiring planning and building approval for everything from a patio to a pergola. Depending on the type of structure and location, homeowners may have to apply for a retrospective planning approval and a retrospective building permit. The cost of apply for retrospective approval can be pricey with councils charging up to three times the standard application fees.

What to do if you find yourself in this situation?

Decide whether you want to knock the structure down or whether you want to get the structure approved. If you want to get the structure approved;
Liaise with your local council to determine if retrospective planning approval is required. Some local government require all structures to have planning approval, while other only require building approval.

Commission a draftsperson to add the structure to your site plan and floor plan; or create a new site plan and floor plan for your property. You will also need the draftsperson to draw elevations of the structure for the council approval.

If retrospective planning approval is required you can either apply to your local council yourself or commission an industry professional to manage the application on your behalf. Retrospective planning applications must comply with the council’s local planning policies and the Residential Design Codes.

The easier solution.
Consulting an industry professional can save time and reduce frustration in the planning process.
Retrospective building permits are issued by the council and require a building surveyor to undertake a site inspection and assessment to ensure the structure complies with the Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards. Once your structure has been assessed you can lodge an application with the council for a building permit.

Take the stress out of apply for a building permit through commissioning a qualified private building surveyor to undertake the assessment. Private building surveyors can certify building plans which will reduce the council application time.

Related articles:

Buyer beware – before it is too late

How to find a first home that will also be a great investment

5 Essential tips when buying an investment property

Buying Australian Real Estate when on a temporary visa

What to do when a structure is not council approved.

How to sell your property for more – the easy way – simple tips that makes a difference when selling.


About Mavin Real Estate

Why manage your investment with Mavin

Why sell with Mavin?

Perth suburbs covered by Mavin Real Estate